What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows UK charities to claim back the basic rate tax already paid on donations by you. This means that we can claim back 25p for every £1 donated from the government on your behalf. This boosts the total value of the donation by 25%! All at no extra cost to yourself!
By completing the declaration form below, we can claim Gift Aid on your donations to us over the last four years and any contributions you make in the future – unless you tell us otherwise.
Sign up to Gift Aid
What is Gift Aid ?
Gift Aid is a simple way to increase the value of your gift to International Relief Foundation – at no extra cost to you. If you pay tax in the UK, International Relief Foundation can reclaim the basic rate tax (25%) on your gift. So, if you donate £100, it is worth £125 to International Relief Foundation.
Do I Qualify for Gift Aid ?
For your donation to qualify for Gift Aid you must:
- Be a UK taxpayer
- Have paid at least as much in Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax in that tax year as you want to be claimed in Gift Aid
Doese my donation qualify for Gift Aid ?
Gift Aid can be claimed on donations from you provided they are gifts. If your donations fall into any of the following categories, then it would not be eligible for Gift Aid.
- From limited companies
- Made through Payroll Giving
- To enter a competition e.g. a raffle or sweepstake
- On behalf of someone else or a group of people e.g. collection from work colleagues
- From charity cards or of vouchers, for example Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) vouchers
What if I pay tax at the high rate ?
Gift Aid allows International Relief Foundation UK to claim basic rate tax of 20% on your donation. However, higher rate taxpayers pay 40% tax.
So, if you’re a higher rate taxpayer, you can claim, from HMRC, the difference between the basic rate of tax claimed by International Relief Foundation UK on your donation, and the higher rate of tax you actually pay. Here’s an example:
- You are a higher rate taxpayer (you pay tax at 40%) and donate £100 to us
- We claim back basic rate tax of 20% from HMRC. That’s 25p for every £1 donated, so we claim £25, making your total donation £125
- You can claim the difference between the 40% rate of tax and the basic rate of tax of 20% claimed by us on your gross donation.
- That’s a 20% difference. So, you can claim 20% of £125 (a total of £25) from HMRC
Do I have to make a declaration with every donation ?
No. To make it easy for both you and International Relief Foundation UK, the declaration wording covers present, future and past donations.
By completing the Gift Aid declaration form, we can claim Gift Aid on your donations to us over the last 4 years, and any donations you make in the future – unless you tell us otherwise.
If you’ve changed your name or address, or your donations no longer qualify for Gift Aid due to a change in your tax circumstance, please let us know. You can call us on 02036673268, or email us on [email protected]